First things first, there's a lot of good info in this job description. If ya don't want to read it, you probably aren't a good fit for this position.
Now how ‘bout we skip right ahead to the center of the tootsie-pop? We are biased — but we are pretty sure we are the coolest place to work for, ever. And we really believe that we are changing the world by giving the gift of time (you will see what we mean when you check out our website!).
Honestly, the job is NOT all puppy dogs and sandy beaches — there is some good news and there is some bad news.
Let’s get the bad news out of the way first:
- The pay sucks. Meaning, you won’t get rich at this job. The pay starts at $15 an hour. It can be some extra spending money, for sure. However, if you are seeking a job to support a household then this is no longer the “coolest” part time graphic design job ever, it is now the “suckiest” part time graphic design job ever.
- It’s contract position. That means no benefits and you’ll be responsible for a few of your own expenses (internet service for example).
- The hours are limited, for now. We don't have enough work to keep you busy full time.
- It's IMPERATIVE that you are able to be reachable and can work at least part of the day during business hours 8am-4pm Eastern. If our projects are delayed because we can't communicate with you until 10pm our time, this is absolutely a deal breaker.
- Review points 1 -4.
Now let’s talk about the good stuff:
- Our office is VIRTUAL. Just think of how much decorating you’ll get to do! Seriously though, that means you can work in your own home and don't have to commute. While you will be doing Zoom calls with the team, you get to save money and be home for your family when needed.
- Never a Dull Moment. All of our clients are unique in their specific needs and personalities. That means you'll never get bored doing the same thing over and over.
- We aren’t big on stress. So, while we will expect you to work efficiently and get things done, we focus on open communication and getting things done right the first go around.
- This isn’t a “MY WAY or the HIGHWAY” company. We are constantly changing and growing. If you aren’t comfortable with change, that might not be something to include in the “good stuff”. But if you are tired of making suggestions only to be told “this is the way we’ve always done it” then this is perfect for you.
- After 90 days, the rate of pay goes up depending on experience!
Now, let’s talk about the job requirements:
- You need to be the type of person who gets joy out of variety. As our graphics person, you may be called on to do anything from creating a logo for a spiritual financial coach to designing an entire workbook for nature journalist. You'll need to have flexibility in style and design.
- Our clients use a variety of tools including Canva and Adobe products. Did I mention variety? You'll need to be well versed and comfortable using their accounts when necessary.
- We encourage input and feedback. If you have recommendations, we strongly suggest you share them. But, at the end of the day, the client is the client and the client gets final say.
- You need to be a person with REALLY GOOD communication skills. Like it’s a total pet peeve when you go a few days without an update and staying on top of others to communicate with you is only a minor annoyance.
- You need to nail down the details. You have the ability to reference a client's past projects to determine a brand style and adopt that style in your own work. You don't miss things like matching fonts or brand colors or placing a strategic logo on a PDF form.
- We are looking for a good, fun person, who gets shit done. (Oh and we occasionally swear at the office…not much…but sometimes a joke is only funny with an F-bomb).
- We are looking for people who don’t mind challenging the status quo but who also don’t get upset if things don’t go the way they think they should.
In short, your job is to help our team and clients in any way you can. And to have fun at work (who wants a job that isn’t fun?!?).
Our office is casual, but we do expect professionalism and punctuality. What we don’t expect is perfection.
We expect intelligence, energy, a strong desire to learn, and a get it done attitude. When you have questions, you tend to look for the answers with easily accessible resources (shared team resources and, well, Google) first before seeking out assistance from the team. BUT, you aren’t afraid to ask for help when you can’t find the answer or are unsure.
To learn more about us, check out VirtualATeam.com.
If this is a job that gets you so excited that you would even do it for free, we would totally accept that offer from you. But if you prefer compensation (and we totally get it…we prefer getting paid as well) this is what we offer: This is a part time, contract position. The hours range greatly from 3 to 10 hours a week.
In addition to being a detailed person, you must follow systems and processes. In fact, just to prove that you are detail oriented and can follow procedures, when you apply for this position you’ll see a CODE section. Enter TEAM as the code. Yep, that’s our little trick to sort out the people who blanket send their resume to anyone and everyone, from the folks (that’s you) who are truly interested in this position. We are looking to bring our new colleague on board as soon as possible, but we will spend the necessary time to find the best fit both in abilities and culturally.
Oh, and if you make it to the next round, we’ll be asking you to submit a video interview answering a couple of questions. So get ready to put on your best video face! 😀